Friday, January 4, 2013

Young Adult

I knew what to expect but I didn't realize how weird it would be.

Grocery shopping that is.

Sounds ridiculous but I had a minor meltdown on what to buy from the grocery store and how to budget.

I am so used to coming home (mom and dad's home for the past 20 years) with a fridge full of food, cabinets full of spreads and a countertop full of cookies, coffee and the delicious likes. Well the first official day in our place, Chris and I picked up a few of the essential necessities, (like Greek yogurt and fruit and eggs and of course, beer) but all that went so fast. Chris has been working later nights so I have had to fend for myself. I didn't want to go out and (gasp!) spend money on take out but rather spend money on groceries that will last longer than a day. I called Mom, whimpered a bit, "What do I buy?!" "I don't know if I have enough money?!" "Why is this so hard?!" In which she replied, "I am so sorry I am not there, I would go grocery shopping with you, I think you will be fine." I was fine, actually, and surprisingly enough I had, do I dare say? A little bit of fun? I was under budget and only bought what I think we really needed. Like healthy stuff that Chris will be bummed about, or happy depending on the way you look at it!

Though I have been an official adult according to society for the past 7 years, I really only now consider myself a true, young adult. Paying bills (electricity was paid yesterday, rent today), and going grocery shopping and buying toilet paper and paper towels with my hard earned money. Oh it's all so fun (not) but it is a really good experience of what it is like to be "grown up". I commend all of you being able to stay afloat and pay rent and buy groceries and toiletries and nonsense necessities and especially thank mom and dad for taking care of me and never realizing how expensive the real world is!

Well now I do and I'm sure it's going to be one hell of a ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment