Sunday, September 16, 2012

That Lightbulb Moment

I had an epiphany. It all happened so suddenly, and it put everything into perspective that I've been so nervous about. You see, I am in the final stretch of my undergrad. So exciting, yet so nerve racking. I knew what I kind of, sort of wanted to do, but wasn't 100% sure. I knew I wanted to go to grad school, but for what? I'm a psychology major, but clinical, therapy, research, statistics, experiments, blah, blah, blah never interested me. I hate research, I don't want to diagnose people, and I don't want to be a therapist. I was interested in the social aspect of psychology, mostly relationships, gender issues, sexuality, all the good stuff (to me, anyway). This semester I am taking a "Women in Societies" class, though it's still the beginning we talk about gender issues, the stuff that interest me the most. While my professor doesn't know it, she helped me understand what I want to do with my future. I want to go to grad school to study women and gender studies and eventually teach, at college level, gender studies courses. I guess I always kind of knew, but again wasn't sure until this past Wednesday morning while listening to my professor lecture on the differences of what was considered the beauty standard from years ago to today. I feel accomplished that I know what I want to do and now knowing where I need to go. I've just briefly started researching grad schools (a stress in itself) and will start the whole grueling applying for school process over again. But it's exciting. A whole new fresh start and an exciting path towards my future!



1 comment: